The Sacrament of Baptism is the gateway to the sacraments necessary for salvation. In this sacrament, the man is freed from original sin, conformed to Christ and incorporated into the Church.
After setting the date of receiving the sacrament of baptism, in the rector church of the Holy Spirit, in the office of the Archcathedral parish of St. John the Baptist, the parents shall submit the following documents:
- Child’s birth certificate issued by the Civil Registry Office.
- Certificate of church marriage.
- Personal data of godparents (witnesses): name, profession, age, address.
- The certificate stating that godparents are believers and practitioners. Such certificate shall be issued by the vicar of the parish in which godparents live.
- In the case of young people studying, who are to act as godparents, current certificate of completion of catholic religious education must be submitted.
- Permission of the parish vicar for the baptism of a child outside the parish of the parents’ residence.
PARENTS CHOOSE GODPARENTS FOR EACH CHILD
The role of godparents may be admissible to those who:
- have been designated by the person receiving the baptism, either by his or her parents, or by the person who represents them and have the required qualifications, as well as the intentions of fulfilling this task.
- have reached the age of 16.
- are Catholics, confirmed, and have already received the Sacrament of the Eucharist, and lead a life consistent with the faith and corresponding to the role they are to perform.
- are free of any canonical penalties.
- are not the father or mother of the baptized person.
- the baptized person, belonging to a non-Catholic ecclesial community, may be admitted solely together with a baptized Catholic godparent, and only as a witness to baptism.
- non-practicing persons, unmarried spouses, cohabiting persons and non-catechized youth can not be child’s godparents.
- godparents should be present at the time of the sacrament, since their task is, together with the parents, to present the baby to the baptism
In the week before the baptism of the child, parents submit the relevant documents in the sacristy of the Church of the Holy Spirit, signed by the Vicar of the Archcathedral Parish of St. John the Baptist !